Judge Temporarily Halts Obama’s Immigration Actions
The same judge who put the brakes on President Barack Obama’s executive actions on immigration has gone on a rampage against the Department of Justice for conduct he deemed unethical.
Yahoo! And we here at The Contemplative Thinker applaud with thunder and finally after nearly one half century (or 50 years) are still on our feet with the standing ovation for District Court Justice Andrew Hanan.
U.S. District Judge Andrew Hanen, a George W. Bush appointee who sits in Brownsville, Texas, issued an extraordinary order on Thursday imposing a number of sanctions on administration lawyers for “misrepresentations” he says they made while the immigration case was before him in its early stages.
Hanen acknowledged that the merits of the case as a whole now rest with the U.S. Supreme Court, which will decide the case before the end of June. And he wrote that he “neither takes joy nor finds satisfaction” with his order.
But he nonetheless proceeded to chastise the administration for what he says were a number of misrepresentations in court filings and appearances by lawyers in the course of the litigation. These “misstatements,” he said, misled him and the 26 states that sued the government over its implementation of Obama’s plan to defer deportations for millions of undocumented immigrants.
“Clearly, there seems to be a lack of knowledge about or adherence to the duties of professional responsibility in the halls of the Justice Department,” Hanen wrote. He also said his court “would be remiss if it left such unseemly and unprofessional conduct unaddressed.”
Namely, Hanen accused Justice Department lawyers of not having told him or the states that the Department of Homeland Security had already granted relief under the immigration programs to more than 100,000 undocumented immigrants while the programs, first announced in November 2014, were being challenged in court.
Doing this while the litigation was underway and without telling the court or the other side was unethical, Hanen said.
“Such conduct is certainly not worthy of any department whose name includes the word ‘Justice,’” he wrote. “Suffice it to say, the citizens of all fifty states, their counsel, the affected aliens and the judiciary all deserve better.”
The sanctions reached the very office of Attorney General Loretta Lynch, whom he ordered to designate someone to ensure compliance with this edict and to submit reports to that effect yearly. He also ordered Lynch to notify him within 60 days about whether the department’s Office of Professional Responsibility is doing its job properly.
Perplexingly, Hanen also ordered DOJ to submit under seal a list of all the undocumented immigrants who received deferred action from deportation — including their personal information — while the case continues, and left open the door to releasing it to the states after the Supreme Court rules in the underlying dispute.
Through a spokesman, the Department of Justice said it “strongly disagrees with the order” but declined to comment on whether it plans to appeal it.
Appeal what? There have been already well over 800,000 illegal immigrants that have been granted this nonsensical presidential action. Furthermore, they have it planned to release 4 – 5 million more. Adhering to reasonable standards each unlawful immigrant who gain entry for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals or in the other case a far more and greater crime DA for Parent Arrivals in order to qualify for any of this — from the very start must have given their name, address, who they were living with, SSN where applicable, job or employment data are absolute musts that the USCIS must have on record.
Just one more issue that is important — these signs that say “Keep Families Together” — ad nauseam seem to be missing the larger point — and that of course is: How would a family be set apart from each other (temporarily) had not one or more of the parties came to this nation illegally?